1. Treat all teammates, coaches, opponents and officials, as you yourself would like to be treated: with respect. Without them you don’t have a game.
2. Play for the ‘fun of it’ – not to please your viewers, fans or coach. Win or lose, try to enjoy every moment on the court.
3. Play by the rules.
4. Never argue with the official’s decisions. Let your coach ask any necessary questions.
5. Play with emotion but never lose control of it – no ‘mouthing off’, throwing balls or other equipment.
6. Work equally hard for yourself and your team – your team’s performance will benefit and so will your own.
7. Be a good sport. Cheer all good plays, whether they are your team’s or your opponent’s.
8. Remember that the goals of the game are to have fun, improve your skills and feel good. Don’t be a show-off or always try to get the most points or fouls.
9. Be patient with your team-mates as they improve their game, just as they will be patient with you. Basketball is a team sport. Success can only come when the entire team works and plays well together.